So, you want to become a part of the SoF Alliance. There are a few things you should know first.
First and foremost, a bit of background on how the alliance was formed and the way it operates.
The Servants of Fortuna guild was established during beta, and has become an international gaming community nearing 100 members. You can find a formal write up on the creation and values of SoF here.
SoF created a sister guild named Servants of Fortuna: Victrix. SoF:V is a place where our members can engage in competitive PvP play. It was clear to us that many of our members had stopped playing casual GvG to preserve the ranking our more competitive players had achieved. We had great pride for breaking the top 100, not to mention the fact that a grab-eight-and-go team of occasional GvGers would not have so much fun facing teams in that bracket. Since we strive to be a place where all of our members can enjoy each and every part of the game, Victrix serves as a competitive outlet for the alliance.
Well, that covers SoF’s guilds, but wait there’s more!
Remember when I said we strive to be an international community where all of our members can enjoy all aspects of the game? SoF’s members are spread across all time zones. The A-Net guild cap may never have become a problem for SoF if we decided to stick to one or two time zones; 100 people who play roughly the same times every day: who could ask for more? While in a guild where close to half of the members are European, close to half of the members are North American, with more members scattered throughout the rest of the world, that hundred member cap can sneak up on you quickly. And while we are reaching our cap (coming closer each day in fact) it was clear that some of our members were lonelier than others. Our European friends have always had fewer members than our American friends. Our Eastern time zone player base is larger than our Pacific time zone player base, with that four hour gap many of our Pacific friends were left wanting for fellow guildies to play with in the late evenings.
With the release of Factions and the debut of alliances the SoF council started thinking, how can we make this work for us, getting our lonely players friends to group with while still maintaining the level of friendship, community, casual, mature play we have now.
We thought, "What we need to do is get a few small like-minded guilds to join us!" The trick was finding the right ones and figuring out how to work the logistics. We started looking for small European guilds; pvp-centric, pve-centric and balanced. We also started looking for Pacific-based guilds with the same criteria. We wanted to find people who were like us: friendly, mature, community-oriented, and most of all fun-loving!
Fortuna smiled upon us in the form of the Guardians of the Stars [GOTS], The Torrencians [Tor], and Defenders of Gods [DOG].
Guardians of the Stars is a European based guild, they are friendly, mature and a well-balanced group.
Originally Posted by Opal
Guardians of the Stars is a community focused guild started when Prophecies went live. While we do and enjoy casual PvP we are mostly a PvE orientated guild putting emphasis on giving a friendly, family atmosphered place for like-minded, mature players to play or learn Guild Wars. GOTS players are from all over Europe and enjoy the challenge and fun this game can give, be that PvE, PvP, build-design or community building. You can find out more about us through our Forum, GOTSwiki or just tune in to our GOTSchat to have a friendly chatter with us!
The Torrencians are a Pacific/ Mountain time zone based guild with both pvp and pve leanings, their members are also friendly mature good-hearted people.
Originally Posted by Kaitrin
Ever since the formation of our guild in June 2005, we have maintained a small, friendly, and casual atmosphere for gamers with a mature outlook. We enjoy competitive play and improving our skills, however our primary focus is to have fun. The majority of our members are adults who participate in both PvE and PvP.
Defenders of Gods is a North-American based guild with a strong history of pve that is starting to get serious about pvp. Friendly, fun and generous is the name of their game.
Originally Posted by Grey Mouser
Defenders of Gods [DOG]
DOG is more than just a guild. We are a group of like-minded, mature gamers who enjoy helping and learning from each other. We are primarily a PvE guild, but are constantly honing our skills for the PvP aspects of GW. The DOG PvP Philosophy: DOGs boldly charge into the enemy (while they wonder why we left the flag in our base.) DOGs rampage among our foes (while they wonder why we're letting our Guild Lord die.) The DOG motto is, "We will triumph in the face of adversity... accidentally." [DOG] is primarily an Americas-based guild, with members across all US timezones.
Hey, my guild is friendly, fun-loving, and mature! How can I get our guild into the SoF alliance?
- If you are a leader, councillor, or ambassador of your guild, the first thing you need to do is register on our forums, if you have not already done so. If you are not one of the aforementioned persons, have one of them register on our forums.
- Send one of our Councilors, Advisors, or Ambassadors a private message letting them know who you are, who your guild is, and why you would like to join the SoF alliance.
- Whoever received your private message will then relay that information on to the rest of the governing body of the alliance. What that means is, we have a section in our forum called The Embassy where the FCA (founders, councilors, & advisors) of the guilds discuss alliance-related issues, such as guilds wishing to join.
- A subforum will be created named after your guild. Here your councillors and our alliance councillors will discuss what your guild wants out of our alliance, what our alliance wants out of your guild, and what each party can contribute to each other.
- We will review the way your guild is run (is there an age limit, a strict recruitment policy, active forums, are your players pve only, pvp only, or a combination of both, and which time zone(s) your guild encompasses).
- There will be much discussion amongst all guilds involved, both within your guild’s private forum, and another subforum called The Alliance Roundtable where guilds within the alliance can discuss matters regarding your guild's application.
- The SoF alliance may be named for SoF but we are not a dictatorship. All guilds within the alliance must agree to the “fit” of your guild. All guilds involved must be comfortable with the time frame surrounding discussions.
- If all guilds agree that an alliance should be forme, we move on to a trialing period. Please bear in mind that if we have recently accepted a guild to the alliance, we will wait for everyone to get comfortable with each other and acclimated to the alliance before we start trialing another guild.
- The trialing period can be one or two steps. We may first ask that your members and our members add a few names to their friends lists and try to trial your guild within the alliance. Within SoF we put an "intent to trial" post in our forums and ask our members what they think. If they have any reservations they are asked to speak up and inform the council. If any objections are raised, they will be brought up in the Embassy for discussion.
- If after a week of discussion there have been no objections, we will invite your guild to our alliance for a “test drive” if you will. For 1-2 weeks we will see if your guild fits within our alliance and how everything works out in-game. Any issues will be discussed by all guilds. If any issues arise that are unsolvable, or the alliance feels that while on paper your guild seemed a perfect fit, but in practice things don’t mesh so well, your guild will be asked to leave the alliance and the trial period will end with the guilds parting ways.
- If all goes well, there will be formal announcements as to your guild's acceptance into the alliance. Your members will be given access to the Alliance section of the forums; your councillors access to the Alliance Roundtable; and all the appropriate posts and banners will be updated to reflect your place within our alliance.
Well that just about covers it.
If you have any questions please feel free to PM Alana, Crash Test or any of our FCA’s.